Today we are pleased to announce a new partnership with GEOCON Canberra to launch the 2019 Australian National University Australian Football Club (ANUAFC) Women’s Leadership Scholarship. Following the growing success of the AFLW competition and surge of interest and participation in women’s in AFL in Canberra and across the nation, ANUAFC is incredibly proud to build on the existing scholarship program, offering the scholarship for the third consecutive year.
What is on offer?
This scholarship will be worth $5,000 per annum for up to 3 years of your study program at ANU. Scholarship holders will also be provided leadership and career development opportunities, both at the football club and as speaker and ambassador for the ANUAFC, ANU and partners. A maximum of one scholarship will be awarded in 2019, noting that ANUAFC reserve the right not to award a scholarship in any given year.
What are the expectations for the successful scholarship holder?
The successful scholarship holder will be expected to:
- meet ANU academic standards;
- train with and play football for the ANUAFC, acting as a club leader both on and off the field;
- be available to be involved in intervarsity competitions;
- participate in speaking and ambassador roles for ANUAFC, ANU Sport and AFL Canberra; and
- more details about the scholarship can be found in the ANUAFC Women’s Leadership Scholarship Conditions of Award.
Who can apply?
All women who are studying at the ANU, or have been accepted into an ANU study program, or who have applied to study at the ANU, and have demonstrated sporting and leadership skills are welcome to apply.
How will applications be assessed?
Applications will be assessed by an independent panel of representatives from ANUAFC and ANU Sport.
The Scholarship will be assessed against four basic criteria:
- meeting ANU’s academic standards;
- demonstrated talent and experience in playing AFL (or the capability to translate excellence in another sporting field to AFL); and
- demonstrated qualities of leadership, teamwork, enthusiasm, and commitment to be applied both on-the-field and as an ambassador of the ANU, ANUAFC and other partners;
How do I apply?
Applications are now open for this prestigious Scholarship and will close Friday 1 March 2019.
Please submit your applications to: email@example.com
Applications should include:
- evidence of enrolment at the ANU, or acceptance into the ANU, or application to study at the ANU;
- a current CV
- a 1-2 page (max) statement against the assessment criteria (noted above), what the applicant hopes to gain from the Scholarship, and what they will bring to the Scholarship
- contact details for 2 referees who can attest to the applicant’s AFL experience and leadership skills (or other relevant athletic skills and achievements)
About the Club
Since 1961, the Australian National University Australian Rules Football Club (ANUAFC) has represented the ANU in the Canberra district competition of Australian Rules Football. With two men’s teams and a women’s team, the ANUAFC provides a safe, friendly and fun environment for students and non-students to learn the game of Australian Rules Football.
The ANUAFC Women’s team joined the ACT Women’s competition in 2001 and continues to grow and prosper, playing in the AFL Canberra Women’s Second Grade Grand Final in 2018 and falling only 5 points short of victory. In 2019 the ANU Women’s team is seeking to raise the bar in search for their first premiership. The team consists of players with a range of experience and ability, all with a shared commitment, determination and love of the game.
The club is located at South Oval on ANU Campus, Acton in the heart of Canberra’s city.
Who can I talk to for more information?
The President of the ANU Australian Football Club, Caitlin Roy, or Scholarship Coordinator, James Hancock, would be happy to answer any questions relating to the Scholarship via email or mobile.
Mobile: 0413 396 031 (Caitlin), 0431 725 249 (James)